Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Day 2016

        The children have seen Election Day on our Calendar since the month started.  They are very aware of the race for the Presidency and have been for some time.  I believe since one of their schoolmates appeared on stage with Donald Trump in the early days of the race.

          I came up with the idea of having a voting day of our own since the children seemed so excited about Election Day.  I wanted it to be fun and educational.  I wanted them to know the importance of voting and to learn a bit about the process at the same time.
     
         I found a great free kids voting package on teachers- pay-teachers and printed out the materials.  Before voting, we had the children register to vote in advance in order to be on the voter registration list.  We then had them learn a bit about the two main candidates.  Once they'd registered, and knew about the candidates, we allowed them to cast their own ballots.  They were so excited and made sure no one could see who they'd voted for.    Lastly they counted out the votes and tallied on a venn diagram included in the package.
       
         Our clear winner was Hillary Clinton.  The children are anxious to see if America votes as they did.  Since we are eight hours ahead, we won't know until we get up tomorrow morning.  Either way, tonight I pray for our country and as I expect a close race, I pray for healing in the time that follows this election.

Our Ballot Box made from an empty tissue box.





They each got an "I voted" sticker after casting their vote.

Tallying the votes....

still counting.....

....and counting!

We will use these for our journal entry tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment