Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Holidays Away From Home

       The holiday season in the US starts with Thanksgiving.  It is one of my favorite holidays.  A special time to spend with family and for us, with friends as well.  We'd cook lots, eat well, and then usually we'd spend an evening playing games, laughing and really having a great time.

       Wonderful to say,  this year was no different.  In fact, I've never had a fuller house!  We had at least 25 of our friends and family over for our first Thanksgiving in Kenya.  Of course Thanksgiving is not a holiday normally celebrated in Kenya, but alas, after a wild turkey chase through Nairobi, a turkey was found!  We followed our family tradition and everyone in attendance got to mention one thing they are most thankful for this year.  The holiday was really embraced by all.

       Next, we headed into the Christmas season!  This is a time my family usually heads farther north to PA and NJ to visit family and spend the holiday there.  There were many things that I missed about our normal Christmas traditions.   Above all else I really missed family and friends in the US.  I actually missed the winter chill in the air (not the snow).   I missed the sounds of Christmas that I just didn't hear here in Nairobi (sleigh bells, Christmas carols).  We actually ended up going to the mall  and I noticed they were playing Christmas songs, so I'd accepted that this would be my Christmas carol fix then to top that, some friends from our co-op came over to our place and carolled for us.  It was such a wonderful gesture!  I can only describe as awesome,  and unexpected!!!

       I missed seeing houses beautifully decorated with outdoor Christmas lights this is not done here in Nairobi.  First, most of the homes are behind large natural or stone fences so you would not see the lights even if they were up and also electricity costs are sky high so it would not be practical.  I also just think that culturally it's not done.

Our Christmas tree all decorated by the kids and I

Our Elf on the Shelf  "Peppermint" found us in Kenya and decided to take a flight
       I also missed Christmas shopping.  I love the idea of shopping for others.  Finding that perfect gift that would put a smile on the face of loved ones.   There are many, many, many malls here in Nairobi. Ummm .... did I mention there are many malls in Nairobi?  There is no shortage of shops.  The problem is there is little variety at these shops and the prices will make you cry especially if you are knowledgeable about the true costs of these items.  On average toys, clothes, and shoes are about three times the cost of the same items in the US.   This is partially because these items are manufactured outside of the country and the government places large import duties on them.    So, on principle, I refuse to buy them.  There were also a few trunk sales during Co-op where people came to sale used items, but I also felt that for used items, they were too pricey.   I passed on those as well.  So up until a few days before Christmas, I had done zero Christmas shopping.

        The children ended up with one gift each; My oldest got a book, the middle child a hoola hoop, and the youngest a toy car.  No one complained, and they were totally satisfied.  I 'd tried to scale back on Christmas shopping several times in the US during the holiday season, but because things are so easily accessible, and the sales are unbelievable, I never could.  I am so thrilled with this years outcome!

       So, although I missed the shopping, it turned out not be such a bad thing.  This lack of material items really allowed us all to enjoy what this season is all about.  Rejoicing in the birth of our saviour!  We spent this Christmas being thankful for all that we do have, and we have indeed been blessed with so much!  We really are truly grateful to have this opportunity here in Kenya.  Never would I have ever thought I'd get to live in a different country and experience a different culture.  Never would I have thought I'd get to spend so much time with my children and even my spouse for that matter. For, this we feel truly blessed!  We are grateful for new friendships and strengthening old ones!  We are grateful for the support of some great people here in Kenya and those in the US.  So, we spent this holiday with these people celebrating and truly having a great time.

          After a busy Christmas holiday with one gathering after another, we topped it off  with a kid free getaway for the New Year.  While the kids tipped their cups of sparkling cider with their grandmother, we enjoyed fireworks on Lake Naivasha!  Naivasha, is a town in the Great Rift Valley located north west of Nairobi.  We rented a five bedroom home on the lake with a group of other folks.  There was a cook and a house keeper on site.  The house grounds boasted beautiful gardens and spectacular views of the lake.   The combination of the serene environ, great food, and the perfect combination of people made this truly the icing on the cake that topped off a perfect holiday season!  Happy New Year to All!!!
The Children toasting the new year at their grandmother's house


The house we rented in Naivasha



A view from one of the balconies

One of the properties gardens

Our view of Lake Naivasha



No comments:

Post a Comment