Saturday, October 22, 2016

(BOGO) Buy One Get One Free

     

We all love sales right?  Well, I know I do.  I remember falling into the traps of such places like Gymboree with there Gymbucks where if you buy more now, you'll save more later was the mantra.  I can still hear the cashier "Miss., your only $0.75 away from earning $75 in Gymbucks.  Are you sure you don't need these lovely socks here that are $5.00, but are the cheapest thing in the store that could actually be of use to you?" blink, blink, smile......

         I even became the queen of using Cartwheel during the last holiday season.  I mean come on, they had awesome deals at Target during the days that lead up to Christmas.  And yes, I have been known to get up in the wee hours on Black Friday to catch a deal.  I must say, I never made it to full coupon lady status, but hey, like I said, who doesn't like a sale right?

        I rarely see sale signs while shopping here in Nairobi.  So you can imagine how thrilled I was to see a Buy One Get One sign on an item that I've already been buying weekly.  I eagerly picked up four of the family sized packs of the kid's Weetabix Wheetos Cereal.  I practically skipped to the register relishing in my latest deal.  My husband awaited me there at the register wide eyed at the contents of our cart.  I just continued with a shrug and said, "What, they're BOGO?"  Knowing that this just might be too good to be true, I made sure I alerted the cashier that the cereal should be BOGO.  She nodded in agreement and said,  "It will be taken off at the end."  I noticed that each double box rung up about 200Ksh less than the normal price of 650Ksh and at the end, nothing more was taken off.    Wait a minute, did I miss something?  That's not BOGO.  BOGO would have made the price of each Family pack 325Ksh, not 450Ksh.  The store manager spent five minutes trying to convince me that it was indeed BOGO.  In the end, we agreed that the sale was more like buy two get one, and that it was a case of false advertisement.  I still left with the four packs of reduced price cereal, no longer skipping, but still happy to have gotten a sale.

        Lesson learned, in Nairobi BOGO may often times mean something very different than buying one, and then getting another for free.

The kid's new favorite cereal.  Now usually I'm not one for allowing sugary breakfast cereals, but I tasted this one and it's really not all that sweet.  It has just a hint of a chocolate taste (sigh...we Americans and our love affair with sugar).   They also have Weetabix Bran Flakes in a family pack as well and the kids enjoy those too.

No comments:

Post a Comment